Blog Archive

Monday, January 9, 2012

civilization: from princes to frogs.

How digitally civilized am I?  I suppose I would first have to correctly identify what it means to be "civilized".  The term usually carries a positive connotation; however, in the words of Syrus, "We were born princes and the civilizing process makes us frogs."  Now that's something to think about.  Technology and innovation is terrific and arguably makes us more "civilized", but we should limit it before it limits us.  I'm looking forward to learning more on this subject, so my blogs can be even more civilized... later on.

That said, I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, whatever that means.  But I suppose most everyone in the Digital Civilization class (or is it a circle...?) is pretty digitally civilized, even if they don't consider themselves to be.  When I returned from my LDS mission in Peru about two months ago, I realized that I had gone without many gadgets, for lack of a better word.  And I hadn't missed it.  But technology is none the less creeping back into my daily life, and it's probably here to stay.  I'm not complaining.  I just hope it doesn't turn me into an amphibian.

No comments:

Post a Comment